Mission of the New York City Board of Education
*To preserve Irish Culture and Promote Contributions by Irish people to the United States of America and World Wide.
* Recognize the accomplishments of Irish Americans in Education including those who promote the history and understanding of Irish contributions and Irish diaspora worldwide.
* Encourage the teaching of the NYS Education Department Curriculum on the Great Irish Famine in all NYC Schools
* Celebrate Irish Diaspora
* Connect our membership with one another and with those of Irish descent or those who have a tangible connection or interest in Ireland and wish to establish a connection
* Provide an effective voice for our membership to their elected officials
* Facilitate a network for our members
* Celebrate our accomplishments
History of the New York City Board of Education
The Emerald Society of the New York City Board of Education was founded September 1, 1969 byDr. Philip Bolgers, Educator and Statistician, Institutional Review Board of the NYC Board of Education, John Carroll, Custodial Engineer, NYC Board of Education and Dennis Mitchell, Custodial Engineer, NYC Board of Education.